at Sugar Hill Primary School
We are artists!
Sugar Hill provides the children opportunities to develop their cultural capital, which forms the foundation of our art and design curriculum. Through an appreciation of culture, we want to inspire the children to realise their artistic potential and broaden their understanding beyond what they think is possible. When they leave Sugar Hill, the children will be prepared to continue their artistic development and be ready to effectively contribute to an increasingly creative work force.
Our art and design curriculum promotes curiosity and empowers our children to be independent and resilient artists.
- By going beyond the National Curriculum’s statutory requirements, our children will have no limits to what their ambitions are. They will grow up inspired to be designers, illustrators, graphic designers, curators, sculptors and painters.
- Our curriculum has been carefully crafted so that our children develop their artistic capital through deliberately planned lessons that develop specific key skills.
- By exploring a range of artistic work, children will take inspiration from The Greats.
- Through engaging, inspiring lessons, the children will develop key, technical and artistic vocabulary to describe their own work and others’.
- The children will gain authentic cultural experiences through visits to different museums from our very local ‘Auckland Experience’ in Bishop Auckland, which celebrates our local heritage to the famous Baltic Museum in Newcastle City, which celebrates artists and artwork from all around the World.
The knowledge and skills required to excel in this subject are set out in the progression documents below.
Children will learn about key figures from Art ranging from Van Gogh to Kandinsky to Pollock.
They will also experience the following during Key Stage 1 and 2:
- Have an understanding of local artists and galleries
- Undertake a hands on workshop experience with an Artist/Designer
- Through visits and visitor experience become increasingly familiar with Art and Design career opportunities available in the work place.
Our curriculum develops creativity, sets challenges, engages and inspires children to stretch their understanding of the world. We are passionate about equipping the children with the knowledge they need to experiment and invent by critically exploring art and design. As they progress, they will be encouraged to think critically to develop a rigorous understanding of art and design. The children will engage in an exciting curriculum that supports them to understand how art and design contribute to the culture, creativity, history and wealth of our nation, both locally and internationally. Through an exciting, engaging curriculum, we want to prepare our children for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of later life.
Our long Term Plan
A Sugar Hill artist will be able to have the confidence to create artwork beyond their expectations. They will be able to reflect on their own and others’ work in order to take ownership of their creative development. Through exhibitions and celebrations of their work, the children will continue to believe in themselves as artists and inspire their future success.