This page is currently under construction...
at Sugar Hill Primary School
"The more you know about the past the better prepared you are for the future"
The intention of the History curriculum at Sugar Hill is to inspire our pupils to become historians and develop their understanding of Britain's past and the wider world by:
- Bringing the past to life in a variety of ways and by delivering lessons that will spark their curiosity and enthusiasm to learn about the past.
- Understanding the there are a range of sources that can be used to find out about the past, and that some of these are more reliable than others.
- Providing children with the knowledge and skills to ask perceptive questions that will deepen their understanding of historical time and events.
- Placing significant figures and historical events in chronological order using words and phrases relating to the passing of time.
- Understanding the similarities and differences between different periods in history and using these to understand the impact of past events on present day.
- Correctly using historical vocabulary when describing events from the past.
How we implement History at Sugar Hill
Our History Curriculum has been carefully planned and structured to reflect the chronological order of the historical eras. Our younger children are encouraged to learn from, and about, historical events that they are more familiar with, or can relate to. As they progress through the school, children are given the opportunity to go back further in time and investigate periods they may be less familiar with, ensuring that they have a good understanding of important changes, as well as how each period links to, and impacts upon the next.
Lessons are driven by key questions that have been generated by the children, so that learning mirrors their interests and sparks enthusiasm for finding out about the past. We always strive to bring history alive in lessons by making them 'hands on' and practical, ensuring that experiences are memorable.
Our Long Term Plan
As historians, Sugar Hill pupils will be able to talk confidently about events, people and places from the past and present and present their learning in a variety of ways. They will understand, and be able to explain (using key vocabulary) how and why these important historical features compare, contrast and impact upon how we live today.